Shuster Aerial Photograph Collection
- Humboldt State University
- CSUH University Library
- Humboldt County ; Humboldt Bay ; Eureka ; Arcata ; Lumbering ; Forests and forestry ; Transportation ; Aerial photography ; Housing ; Land Use
- Between 1946 and the mid 1960s Merle Shuster was hired by land developers, timber owners, and lumber mill owners to photograph specific sites. Approximately half the images in the collection come from these assignments and the other half are what Mr. Shuster chose to photograph as he was flying to and from the designated site. Most of the images are taken at an oblique angle, giving the viewer a richer sense of the landscape. Scenes from the burgeoning post-war lumber industry on Humboldt Bay and nearby coastal areas form the majority of the collection. Other scenes include rivers, country roads and farmsteads, small towns, and stunning landscapes. Humboldt Bay, Eureka, Arcata, Trinidad, and Crescent City are particularly well documented.
- Dates covered:
- 1946 - 1968 (date span),1947 - 1963 (bulk dates)
- Collection Size:
- 3 cubic feet; approximately 2400 items of which 2309 are online
For more information:
- Additional Information (HSU Library Collection Page)
- Citation Sample:
- Shuster Photograph Collection, Humboldt State University Library
- Collection policy:
- Open for Research. Copyright has been assigned to Humboldt State University. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce in any format, please contact the Special Collections Librarian.