San Diego High School Collection
San Diego High School Collecti
- San Diego State University
- Library and Information Access
- San Diego High School began as the Russ School in 1882. Named for the founder of a local lumber firm, Joseph Russ donated all of the initial lumber used to build the school. The original building, designed by the Stewart Brothers and built by Brown and Stevens, was two stories tall and had eight classrooms. The school opened on August 14, 1882 as grammar school with an initial enrollment of 308 students—32 more than they had chairs for. The San Diego High School Collection dates from 1901-1982. It consists mostly of paper records. Included in this collection are copies of the school's early yearbooks, The Russ Annual, and its successor, The Gray Castle as well as copies of some Homecoming programs.
- Dates covered:
- Collection Size:
- 2.50 linear feet
- For more information:
- Additional Information (Finding Aid Database)
- Citation Sample:
- Identification of item, folder title, box number, San Diego High School Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.
- Collection policy:
- This collection is open for research. The copyright interests in the materials found in this collection have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Special Collections and University Archives can only grant permission to publish materials for which it is the copyright holder.