Allen Dairy Collection

collection

Allen Dairy Collection

Campus:
San Diego State University
Library:
Library and Information Access
Subject(s):
Allen, John D ; Allen Dairy (Firm : El Cajon, Calif.) – Archives ; Dairy plants -- California -- El Cajon -- History -- 20th century – Sources ; San Diego County (Calif.) -- Maps, Topographic
Description:
The Allen Dairy was built by Seveno Allen in 1885. It was originally located in Mission Valley where it remained until 1957, when it was relocated to El Cajon. It was the first commercial dairy to operate in San Diego County, growing to considerable prominence before 1950. In 1975, the last owner, Jack Allen, closed down operations due to financial difficulties. In 1978 a housing development was constructed at the El Cajon dairy site. The collection primarily documents the farm's second site in El Cajon. There are materials relating to local water projects and a large collection of San Diego topographical maps prepared by the United States Geological Survey.
Dates covered:
1944-1975
Language(s):
English
Collection Size:
2.50 linear feet
For more information:
Additional Information (Finding Aid Database)
Additional Information (the PAC)
Citation Sample:
Identification of item, folder title, box number, Allen Dairy Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.
Collection policy:
This collection is open for research. The copyright interests in the materials found in this collection have been transferred to San Diego State University. Special Collections and University Archives can only grant permission to publish materials for which it is the copyright holder.