Charles L. Stilson Papers
- California State University, Chico
- Meriam Library
- Chico (Calif.) -- History ; Butte County (Calif.) -- County clerk ; Butte County (Calif.) -- History ; John Bidwell, 1819-1900 ; United States. Army -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- The journals begin in Shelbyville, Missouri on May 20, 1861, and very quickly concern themsevles with the fighting between State and Federal troops during the early period of the Civil War. Stilson records a great deal about the movement of forces in the local area as well as major and minor battles near Shelbyville. The last entry while he is still living in Missouri is on July 14th, 1862.
The diary begins again upon Stilson’s landing in San Francisco on May 28th, 1863. He arrives in Chico on July 2nd, and was employed as a clerk by John Bidwell in his store. In his diaries he records many important events in Chico and the surrounding areas. The final entry is on June 11th 1872. The diary for the year 1870 is missing.
- Dates covered:
- Collection Size:
- 2 boxes, .75, Linear Feet
For more information:
- Additional Information
- Citation Sample:
- Charles L. Stilson Papers, MSS 130, Special Collections, Meriam Library, California State University, Chico.
- Collection policy:
- Collection is open for research without restriction.